The Shamrock House was Founded in 1938 by Patrick Kellegher. In 1937 Patrick visited his sister, Mary, who along with her husband George Sullivan, had just purchased the Erin’s Melody Hotel in East Durham. At that time, Patrick was employed by the Long Island Railroad and had a partnership in a bar named The Three Musketeers. That bar was located on Cyprus Avenue in Jamaica, Queens, N.Y.
During that visit, on a ride along main street in East Durham, he noticed that a building called the Central Hotel, was for sale. He was so taken with the beauty of the area and its likeness to his native County Longford that he purchased the Central in 1938.
That same year the Central Hotel had its name changed to the now famous Shamrock House. Since then The Shamrock House has been the landmark in the town of East Durham.
The Shamrock House has been specializing in meeting the vacation needs of three generations. Individuals, families and groups have enjoyed the hospitality and service in the warm friendly atmosphere provided by the Kellegher Family.
In 2009 John & Sue Quirk of East Durham were honored to purchase The Shamrock House from the Kellegher family. Continuing the tradition of high quality, friendly service that their friends the Kellegher's provided for over 70 years.
A new era begins…
In April 2014, Irish natives Emma and Larry Molloy became the proud new owners of The Shamrock House. Emma hails from Co. Cavan, her husband Lar was born and reared in the Village of Rathvilly, Co. Carlow. The Molloy family look forward to welcoming you to The Shamrock House' where the care and values associated with the long-held Irish tradition will always be the cornerstone for the future.